Working at Freehold
Freehold is a highly collaborative work environment full of passionate professionals dedicated to broadening engagement, serving diverse audiences, and encouraging deep participation in the arts.
“One can say a true artist is always ready to make any number of sacrifices in order to reach a moment of creativity. The mediocre artist prefers not to take risks, which is why he is conventional. Everything that is conventional, everything that is mediocre is linked to that fear.”
– Peter Brook
Freehold was created as a safe place to practice what is not safe. We ask our collaborators, students, board, audience, and extended community to practice risk in rehearsal and performance, in individual practice, and in collaboration. We ask that they risk taking this art form seriously and risk believing that the theatrical event can be of consequence.
We are a community with a 30-year history of being a place that actively encourages diversity of age, race, gender, economics, and physical ability. Freehold continues to increase its commitment to dismantle racism and increase accessibility. In our continuing effort to engage a broad spectrum of our community we encourage people from all communities to apply.
Freehold’s Registrar is responsible for day-to-day operations of Freehold’s Studio. The Registrar is the center point for all Studio communications and acts as liaison between students, renters, faculty, and staff. The Studio hosts 10-15 classes on a quarterly basis and serves over 300 students a year.
This is a part-time 32 hours/week and 50 weeks/year position. Starting pay is $21 per hour with partially covered health care (medical/dental), 10 paid vacation days and 10 paid holidays. Staff also can take one class per quarter and 4 hours per week of free rehearsal space. The Registrar works during Freehold’s office hours of Mon-Thu 10am-6pm with some flexibility as needed. This role will report to the Managing Director and work closely with other Freehold staff.
Responsibilities of this position:
Studio Management – 60%
- Registering new students, answering all class related questions, and counseling students into appropriate curriculum and escalating questions as needed.
- Explaining and enforcing Studio policies and procedures in regards to class payments and registration requirements
- Schedule quarterly classes, generate class lists, policy forms, evaluations and support materials
- Ensure classrooms are maintained and cleaned per instructors needs
- Create class events on website and in database and accounting software
- Communicate and work with Development and Communications Coordinator in advertising of classes, open houses, and sample classes
- Coordinate with Managing Director to reach enrollment goals
- Coordinate all Studio events (Class Samplers, Studio Series, etc). Support other Freehold events as needed
- Scheduling and billing all studio rental requests
- Maintenance and integrity of all data entry in student database
Office Management – 40%
- Supervising work-study students and interns
- Maintenance and integrity of financial records in Quickbooks
- Training other office staff on use of all office equipment and systems and maintaining them in good working order
- Working with Development and Communications Coordinator to maintain displays, bulletin boards, signage and common areas
- Ordering office, cleaning, and event supplies
Preferred Skills and Qualities:
- Passion for the mission and vision of Freehold. Experience in Freehold programming is a plus!
- Knowledge of the Seattle Theatre Community
- Bachelor’s Degree and 2 years experience working in an operations, customer service, or similar environment OR 3-4 years relevant work experience
- Proficient in Quickbooks, Salsa CRM+Engage, Excel, Google Docs
- Comfortable interacting across different communication styles and with diverse audiences
- Attention to detail and sensitivity in managing financial and personal information
- Work independently with ability to manage deadlines, set priorities and multi-task
- Critical problem-solving skills and a love for tackling challenges and creating systems
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a resume and cover letter detailing your experience and interest in the position. We will start reviewing applications August 23 but will accept submissions until the role is filled. We look forward to getting to know you!
We are seeking volunteer board members to support our small but mighty organization. Join us as Freehold Theatre Lab/Studio starts to emerge stronger than ever from the pandemic:
- offering high quality and accessible theatre training
- providing affordable rehearsal and performance spaces
- expanding community connections
- and cultivating a multicultural environment.